Injection of contrast agents

Many contrast agents are administered via injection; depending on which part of the body is being examined, you may be given an injection into the back of your hand, your arm or elbow, a joint, or the lower back (for an X-ray of the spine).1 The injection will be given by a radiographer or specialist nurse, depending upon where on the body it is injected. If a rectal contrast agent is needed, this will be given through a small plastic tube inserted into the rectum.

  1. accessed March 2018